Sunday, August 02, 2009

Home in a Foreign Land







What makes one city different from another and why does one place have more than another?
Is it due to man's influence alone or is there something else involved. In Krakow there is a rumour which could be tourist influenced that at Wawel Castle there is one of the seven chakra points in the world. I have often observed people standing there at the assigned spot looking like they are waiting for something miraculous to happen.
I have never tried to tap into Krakow's power in this way but I do know that when I stepped off the train from Brno I felt something stir within me.
I didn't feel the same thing in Prague or in Brno despite their beauty and numerous attractions. Prague especially is like a fairytale city which lacks realism in many ways.
I enjoyed Brno as it is smaller and less tourist infested than the Czech Republic's most famous city, so famous in fact, that I have met many travellers who believe it is a country.
Despite being in these places and the city I was born and lived most of my life in, I only felt at home when I arrived in Krakow so perhaps there is some chakra connection after all.

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a wonderful blog. Beautiful photos and texts. I myself am still struggling with whether I can feel as at home in the USA, my native country, as I do in Europe.

Philip soanes said...

Thanks Carol. I am glad you enjoy it.