Monday, September 14, 2009

Fighting it on my own



Due to my stubborness or perhaps due to a continuing lifestyle flaw, I have been feeling less than perfect for the last few days. My girlfriend insists that it is the former while I am convinced it is the latter and that my body will work with me and not against me once I give it the encouragement and the ingredients necessary to do so.
Put simply, I have a common cold (Acute viral rhinopharyngitis, or acute coryza) which I have read is commonly caused by lack of sleep, lack of vitamin D and exposure to cold weather. From the same Internet source (Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold) I have also read that it is the most common disease suffered by humans of which there is no cure but thankfully, it is rarely fatal.
The fact that there is no cure is interesting. Of course, Wikipedia is not a scientific journal but it seems to support my argument and suggests that medication helps but only alleviates suffering while the body must do the bulk of the work by itself. According to the same site, in the US more 'than one-third of patients who saw a doctor received an antibiotic prescription, which has implications for antibiotic resistance from overuse of such drugs'.
The recovery process usually takes between 7 - 10 days but can take longer. I am on day 7 so I am feeling optimistic.

No comments: