Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas - what I don't like and what I like.

I don't like Christmas for many reasons as I wrote one year ago in this blog. I don't like the build up to this time with all the signs pointing at you to 'spend, spend, spend' or face looking mean or being called 'scrooge', I don't like consuming so much food, I don't like Christmas songs (not even Shakin' Stevens), I don't like the hope for snow when it means I can't ride my bike, I don't like thinking about what presents to buy nearest and dearest, I don't like shopping full stop!, I don't like Christmas movies (as shown by my desire to watch a documentary about the fight for democracy in South America on Christmas Eve) and I don't even like saying the words 'Happy Christmas'.

What do I like? I think that for me the important thing is to appreciate who we know and where we are. It is the time for reconnecting with family members if we are far away. It is the time for having a meal together without thinking about work or anything else. It is the time to switch off for a short time and relax because that is what what everyone else is doing so it is hard to do otherwise. This is what I like and why I am glad to celebrate this time off.

No comments: