Thursday, December 22, 2011

Flying Home

One of the things I always find amusing about flying is when the captain switches on his microphone, introduces himself with a few words in the usual relaxed manner and says something like 'sit back and enjoy the flight'.

Being able to fly is an amazing achievement but not particuarly a comfortable one and for me it is not an enjoyable experience. After getting past the multiple security points and stressing about losing something or forgetting about a possibly suspicious object in my bag, which could encourage further inspection or even interrogation, then there is the flight itself to worry about. Yesterday, the pressure on the aircraft was one problem which made my head feel as if it was close to exploding. Yawning, swallowing and holding my nose and pretending to sneeze helped a little to retrieve my diminished hearing as well as easing the pressure in my head. The constant droning of the air conditioner was another thing to moan about.

My last rant is connected to the passengers I had to share my flight with. Why do people constantly turn on their phones when they are told that it is not safe to do so? I don't know how great a risk there is that phone signals may block or interfere with communication equipment at the airport but the risk of doing so is unnecessary when all that is needed is a little bit of patience.

After landing, the scramble to get back onto land is understandable as claustrophobia reaches its peak.

On the positive side, I am happy at being able to fly as it would take probably a day to get home. Thinking about spending countless hours in a bus followed by an unstable ferry journey makes me appreciate human air endeavours and I guess I can tolerate the above discomforts for this.

2 comments:

Albert said...

about the mobile phones - it's not proven that they interfere nor allowed (they didn't bother to do some on ground tests). some kind of stalemate I suppose. Glad you survived. :)

Philip soanes said...

I wasn't sure about it but they usually say that you are not allowed to use it during take off and landing.